Monday, July 4, 2011

TWO WEEKS SINCE I GOT HERE

Sometimes I can’t believe I’ve already been here two weeks and other times I can’t believe it’s only been two weeks. So much has happened in just two weeks, it seems weird to think I still have another five weeks here. Things I’ve noticed or find interesting about Burkina:
  1. The water here is bought in bags, not bottles. I thought that was really funny.
  2. It’s perfectly normal to see cows, goats, chickens, donkeys, and sheep in the middle of the road. And the animals aren’t pinned up, but are allowed to just wander so they’re pretty much everywhere.
  3. You greet everyone, if you know them or not. And as soon as someone shakes someone else’s hand, everyone is shaking everyone’s hand. There are no strangers in Africa.
  4. The rules of driving basically consist of whoever’s biggest gets the right away. If you are in a car and want to turn and a truck is coming, you wait. But, if it’s just motos coming then you go and expect them to dodge you or stop.
Thursday we went to one of the villages for a medical clinic that the team here does once a week. We were in a small straw shelter and there was a crowd of people waiting to be checked by the nurse. She would learn about their symptoms, do a short check up or tests if they’re needed, and then give them the necessary medicine. If not for this clinic, none of these children would probably get medical attention. It seemed like most of the illnesses were caused by poor living conditions (infections from sleeping on the floor, malaria, malnutrition).
Friday we went to Ouagadougou to pick up a girl from Virginia who was arriving Saturday and will be staying with us the whole rest of the time we’re here. We came a day early to go to a Fourth of July party being held by the US ambassador in Burkina. It was very different from any Fourth of July party I’ve been to before. Classy elevator music played in the background while servers with red, white and blue striped hats would walk around with platters of hotdogs, chicken, eggrolls, etc. It was really funny to see the Burkinabe caterers wearing American flags on their vests and hats. It was definitely the most formal Fourth of July party I’ve ever been to. I had a nice time, but it really made me miss barbecue, Frisbee, and fireworks.
It was weird seeing so many white people at the party. In Ouaga, there’s a fair amount of diversity but in Yako you stand out a lot. I’ve gotten used to hearing “nasara boom-boom!” yelled everywhere I go from kids. Translation: “white person! candy!” My goal by the end of the week is to get the kids at the orphanage to call me Becca instead of nasara. They all know my and Kelsey’s names but whenever they talk about us they still call us nasara.
Sorry this post is so random. Oh well, I miss you all. Hope you have a lovely day!

1 comment:

  1. Ummm... I've never known what it's felt like to be a minority.:) it sounds so cool over there with the animals in the street and water sold in bags.;) you'd be a really good driver with your big suburban! No rules!!! Thanks for the updates, they're really interesting to read.:)

    ReplyDelete