Monday, July 11, 2011

TRUE BURKINABE

 
So July 4 came and Kelsey me and were both feeling a little melancholy for the lack of fireworks and barbeque in Africa, so we decided to have a "happy birthday America" party with the kids African style. I've noticed that any party or gathering in Burkina involves a bongo drum and singing. So, we sang and danced some, ate cookies, and gave all the kids sparklers that someone had left here (it was as close to fireworks as we could get). We all had a really good time and it was fun having a twist of African and American.


A few days ago I went with a couple of the older boys out to the fields and helped plant crops. I was ridiculously slow but they were nice about it and pretended like I was helping a lot. It's funny, I think everyone here thinks white people are really weak and delicate because they kept asking me if I was tired, or needed a break, or a drink or anything, and then sounded really surprised when I said I was fine. Also, I never have to carry anything here, someone always takes it and carries it for me.


Someone offered to take me and Kelsey and Anna to see a forest so, naturally, we said sure and went along. Never having seen a forest around Yako, I figured they were just talking about some woods, but oh no. Several miles later, walking of course, we arrived at an actual forest with an ever increasing gaggle of kids. It took all morning to get there and I got a pretty nice sunburn, but not everyone can say that they've walked through a forest in Africa and now I can.


Other than that, life's gone on same as always here. There are now seven girls in the house since Becky, Maria, and Rachel arrived yesterday. Somebody said Yako's turning into an American city since there are now almost 10 white people out of the 12,000 that live here. Which, by the way, I counted and in one trip to the store and back I heard "Nasara boom boom!" 36 times. No lie. Good old Yako.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Becca! I love you bunches! Hope you're having a good time and learning lots. I always love your updates. Know that we love you and are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete