Saturday, July 23, 2011

HOW MANY GIRLS CAN FIT IN ONE TAXI? ANSWER: 7

Rachel and Maria left Tuesday night to fly back to the US so Becky,
Anna, Kelsey, Maria, Rachel, and I decided to go into Ouaga on Monday
so those two could have the city experience. We took a bus, my first
time in Burkina, and after hearing stories about other people’s bus
fiascos I was a little nervous. Thankfully though, it didn’t break
down or burst into flames or anything like that (yes it has happened
before). There weren’t enough seats so I had to sit on the floor,
which wasn’t too terrible but by the end of the 2 hour trip I was more
than a little sore. After arriving in Ouagadougou’s very busy bus
station, we had to find and flag down a taxi. I had never even been in
a taxi in America so I was pretty excited about riding in one in
Africa—at least I was at first. But, after lugging your bags halfway
across the city before getting picked up, the excitement disappears.
When we finally did find a taxi, there were already two people in it,
but they very graciously said they would get out and find a new one or
walk so we could use it. I love you Burkina. Cramming 3 people in the
front seat and 4 people in the back seat of this very small 5 seat
taxi was fun, but we made it where we needed to go.
While we were in Ouaga, I got my fill of good American food and think
I will survive the next 2 weeks. Also, we went to the artisan, which
is a market that a bunch of Burkinabe artists use. There’s jewelry,
sculptors, weavers, painters, and carpenters. It was very cool getting
to see the different forms of African art. Me and Anna rode back on
the bus Tuesday afternoon, while the others stayed to take Maria and
Rachel to the airport. I was happily surprised to find that this bus
had cushioned seats for everyone, air conditioning (thank you Jesus!),
and multiple TVs. We all had a really good time exploring the
different parts of Ouaga and getting to experience the public
transportation. It was a very nice little vacation before getting back
to work as normal Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment