Friday, June 24, 2011

HEADED TO YAKO

Bonjour! Ca va? Monday afternoon we left Ouaga after eating at the U.S. Embassy where I got to have my last burger and fries for a while. I came here prepared to eat cockroaches and frog eyes, but so far I’ve had Chinese, sub sandwiches, and better American food than in America. Before leaving for Yako, we visited a three-year-old blind boy named Samson at one of the other orphanages. Burkina Faso does not have many facilities for people with special needs, so a lot of handicapped people end up on the streets, abandoned by their family. Thankfully though, Samson is about to get adopted by a family in the United States.

We had to pay a toll for driving on the road between Ouagadougou and Yako, so when I got out of the car to pay, a man started talking to me in French. I took Spanish in school, so I had no idea what he was saying, so he eventually went over to Ruth. When I got back in the car, Ruth told me the man had asked if I could stay with him. Ha! So dad, Ruth wants to know how much you want for a bride price. We were thinking 10 cows was probably good. It was pretty funny… So anyway Yako is amazing and the people here are awesome. Everyone is very friendly and kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment