Saturday, June 18, 2011

Finally in Ouagadougou!!!!

After spending over 24 hours in planes and airports, I finally made it to Burkina!! I just got here a couple hours ago so my brains still a little crazy but I'll try to put together some words that make sense. So first we flew to Chicago, where we had a 5 hour layover (and where I got to eat deep dish pizza for the first time), from there we had a looong flight to Brussels, Belgium. I'm not sure how long though because my phone turned off when I left the country. After a layover in Brussels, we got ready ready for another five hour flight to Ouagadougou, the capital of Burkina Faso.

The airport was... different. A bus took us from the plane to the airport, which consists of I think a grand total of two rooms and was filled with people. As you walked out, there were crowds of people trying to sell you things, or get you to stay in their hotel, or wanting to carry your luggage. I am way impressed by the balancing skills of their ladies, who could walk around with big, full baskets on their heads. Also, I realized my french is terrible!

Driving is a scary thing. Someone that works for Ruth picked us up and many times I thought we were going to hit someone on a bike. Everyone rides bikes here, scooters, motorcycles, and regular bikes. There also didn't seem to be to many rules on the road you have to follow (like silly things like speed limits and lanes you have to stay in). 

We're staying here in Ouaga until Monday, which I'm really excited about because it seems to be a pretty awesome city. I was surprised at how full and busy it is. All along the streets people are selling things and they'll walk up to your car window to try to get you to buy it. We're staying in the SIM, another missionary organization, guest house until Monday when we'll head to Yako!

That's all I've got for today, just wanted to let you know I made it here ok, but will probably post again sometime after I'm in Yako. Burkina already seems amazing and I'm so excited to get to experience it! I love you all and will miss you like crazy!

Love,
Rebecca

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you made it!! I was so happy to see you had already posted! Matt and Taylor's wedding was beautiful and the reception very fun! We had some food left over so I'll save some yummy red sauce for you! :-) I'll try to put the pictures on facebook so you can see them. I miss not having you here! don't worry about your French - you'll pick it up quickly now that you're there. Say hi to Kelsey for me and love on lots of babies! I love you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you made it safely..aren't long flights fun???!!! I will continue to pray for you. The traffic sounds just like Vietnam..always an adventure skirting the traffic to cross the street. I look forward to hearing about your work and play! A bientot!

    ReplyDelete